Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
Go down
gavinblakeway
Three of a Kind
Three of a Kind

SHAFTSBURY FRI NIGHT COMP

on 2011-09-18, 11:46
I know that you have recently taken over the cardroom Woz and there will be teething problems but I insist that you look at the structure of the £10 rebuy on fri night . The blind structure was excessively long and blinds after the break for a ten pound rebuy should not be starting at 200-400 . I had way above average chips and yet I was out at 300-600 when I lost half my stack against a shorter stack thinking A ten is a good hand versus my Aq . My argument is that generating a larger stack while the blinds are small and gambling more in the rebuy period is of less value when blinds are bigger relative to my stack after the break and more short stacks after the break will be pushing around 10 bb's .

Most £10 rebuy comps start with structure of 45 mins at 25-50 level and the same for 50-100 and I hope that you can do the same . In addition to this ,if I was in the position that I would have to rebuy in the comp prior to the break getting 1500 while blinds are 150-300 , I daresay I wouldn't , while in a normal structure , you are getting 10 bb's to play with , in these circumstances you would get 5bb's and just be shoving away to gather chips before the break. I know rebuy comps are a bit more about gambling and adding value to the pot but I do wish to be able to play some poker rather than a crap shoot after the break.

Hope my suggestions can help with developing a suitable structure for the rebuy tournament as the way it is currently I won't be returning to Shaftsbury any time soon
Ascot
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Re: SHAFTSBURY FRI NIGHT COMP

on 2011-09-24, 13:04
Played this last night just to see what is going on at West Brom and really didn't have a problem with the structure. After some horrendous beats I started after the break with 15BB. Not a problem.

Yes some of the calls from the regs were a bit bizarre but that is what you expect in a comp like this. My raise with KK obviously got two or three callers and obviously there was an Ace on the flop so I had to let it go. A made flush on the turn OBVIOUSLY loses to someone chasing the nut flush with the bare Ace. I want those calls all day long, just not for them to hit lol.

My worst beat was when I raised it up with AK, cant remember how many callers, flop TJQ rainbow, happy days. It was during the rebuy period so jammed it in knowing I'm getting paid off - get called by 89, happy days, and 9s 4s (WTF?). Runner runner spades gave the 9 4 the pot. Just like playing online.

But it was all run a friendly spirit and we had a good laugh. Stopped laughing (nearly) when my 18k+ stack (ave 13k) went to zero in three hands:

Raised 66, two calls, 57x flop, shortstack BB shoves, I call he has 88.
Raised AQ, shortstack BB shoves, call he has KK nad hits quads.
In the blinds, I'm all in blind with a bag of rice to a raise and a call. I have Q6, which is good till the river. GG me.

Woz is doing a decent job there trying to build it up, so I wouldnt knock him for that.

A Friday night rebuy is what it is - folks out for a good night, a few drinks, and don't expect sophisticated play. And come on Gav, it cant be the first time you've had a call from A 10? Wink Wink Wink

Three of a Kind

Re: SHAFTSBURY FRI NIGHT COMP

on 2011-09-26, 12:43
As with poker , forums are made up with different persons with different viewpoints on how to play the game , I was merely highlighting my observations from the game played on that friday .

Even though I was annoyed by the standard of the game that Friday , my tone was not critical or derogatory , I am used to the standard of the play at Shaftsbury and is part of the reason why I would go . Yes it wasn't the first time I had my raise called with A ten but the same player checked is option with AQ the hand before and proceeds to get paid off but then decides to call my raise with me having AQ , hits a flop of JT 6 , with another player in the hand then min value bet it all the way !

I am in no way critical of Woz and know that he plays the game so will have a better understanding of knowing what players will wish for. I just find that the blind situation could deter players who want better value for their buck , understand blinds value and will not allow Shaftsbury to get back where it should be .

PS the only place I can win at at the mo is Broadway consistently , and to me has the worst general standard of poker going in the Midlands. I seek out the fish Dave not avoid em !
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum