Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Chipleader Tournament Report - and the Aftermath

on 2012-06-22, 02:06
This weekend saw the inaugural Chipleader Live Final with €100,000 guaranteed. Online qualifiers ran for 12 weeks allowing players to build their starting stack via winning multiple online tournaments. Once a player reached 15,000 chips they instantly qualified for the live final and the chip building began.

Online Chipleader, Paul Brown, had managed to build a mammoth 659,500 strong stack giving him what looked like an unassailable lead compared to the 15,000 minimum stacks and even the 81,000 average stack, with blinds starting at just 100 200!

Mark James had built up an average sized starting stack of 85,000 to compete for the €32,500, 1stplace. It is clear to say he wasn’t bookies favourite from the start, and although he had doubled his starting stack by the end of day 1 he was still below the average stack. Starting the final table as Chipleader gave him the advantage he needed to take home the first Chipleader trophy and over €30,000.

Amongst the 220 field, 105 players carried a Golden Chip which was awarded to the winner of all 20 handed Chipleader online Sit & Go’s and the last Golden Chip standing would win a £6,000 Caribbean Party Package. 15 of the 18 getting paid held a Golden Chip. It was 3rd placed Christopher Goodson who outlasted them all and will be joining Dusk Till Dawn in St.Kitts in November.

Due to the great feedback received and the fantastic camaraderie amongst the players Dusk Till Dawn will definitely hold another Chipleader tournament, with the next final pencilled in for September. Online qualifiers will be announced soon.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Re: Chipleader Tournament Report - and the Aftermath

on 2012-06-22, 02:09
OK that's the official blurb from DTD about this event but there WAS some controversy at the final table - and it has carried on since - when they got down to six players.

Eventual winner Mark James started the action with a 2.5x raise to 450k, only to face a 3 bet to 1m from Kyriacos Dionysiou (aka Greek Jack). Mark made the call and the flop came down 6h2c2d. Greek Jack announced all in and Mark James went into the tank. Now here’s where the controversy comes in. Three of James’ railers were standing behind Dionysiou and were able to see his cards when he lifted them for a second look. These guys were, apparently, well lubricated and loud.

One of the railers then (allegedly) lifted their hand and supposedly made some movement that was interpreted by others as a signal, a move which was noticed by the Tournament Director. Mark James then announced that he had put him on AK anyway and was going to call. An unhappy Dionysiou flipped over AK, and the JJ of James held.

Apparently the TD then made the decision to move the rail away.

Now, I've played Mark James in the GUKPT, and shared a beer afterwards, and he is a good lad, no question, and a good player. He hails from the North East, and I happened to notice on Facebook on Sunday that another well-known North East player had updated his status to say he had been "red-carded from the rail" and "last night at DTD for him", then later that he had sorted things out with Simon and all was OK. I never thought much about it at the time, but events since then have put his comments into context.

When Jack shoved I guess you could say Mark didnt need any help from the rail to make the call - when he called a 3-bet preflop with JJ, he's unlikely to have had any thoughts in his head of folding on a low flop. But the antics of his mates have certainly tainted his victory in my view.

Simon Trumper has since stated that he has spoken to all parties involved and there is no proof that anything dodgy went on, so no action can or will be taken. But it seems a bit messy and a bit less than professional to allow it to happen in the first place. I've often thought that the final table at DTD seems to have been shoved there almost as an afterthought, and needs a bit more protection from genuine railers or people just walking by. Maybe they will do something about that in future.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum