Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
View previous topicGo downView next topic
PokerSkool
Ace High
Ace High

Monday £10 rebuy --- never again

on 2011-11-29, 13:24
I played the £10 rebuy last night at Gala and got a bit annoyed Evil or Very Mad
They allow players to join the comp just before the last three hands of the rebuy period, why is this a problem?
You get 1000 chips for £10 and a staggering 5000 chips for the £20 add on!
So you can sit down with 6000 chips for £30 and not have to sit through the rebuy period.

I am not surprised we started with 11 runners in a £1000 GTD comp!

Funny though we had more on the break.

Another annoyance is that when people have to pay the big blind penalty for being away from the table for one round, they only have to sit down for one hand to reset this. Really!!!

Anyway rant over, wont be playing it again.
Ascot
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Re: Monday £10 rebuy --- never again

on 2011-11-29, 13:57
Well why are they sitting down with 6000? Arent they expected to pay a penalty of big and small blind for each level they missed? After four levels that SHOULD be 750, which would leave them with virtually just the addon. But i agree, before they changed the rules and allowed late entries it could be exceptionally frustrating to miss registration by a few minutes, but nowadays people take advantage of the late entry rule.

Strictly speaking some places still hold to the principle that it's to accommodate alternates and wont open new tables, but i think that's wrong. Get as many people in as possible without disadvantaging the players who have been there from the start.

I think two hours of late buy ins is too long, personally, and have said so before. I think special care needs to be taken to distinguish between late entries for freezeouts and rebuys. In a freezeout you could play no hands for two or three levels and not be too far off the pace. Getting extra players in after two or even three hours is fine - this what they do at DTD.

Rebuys are often more about trying to build a stack, and build the pot, before the break. The add-on boost you described gives people a way to start with possibly close to average chips without running the risk of losing multiple rebuys, so the pot suffers, as well as the dynamics of the early game. So the period of grace for late entries should IMO, be shorter.

Would like to hear the rationale from Jon or Mike at Gala, plus the input of Ricky9, our bestest favourite TD. Razz

On your other point, what are you on about - is this in tournaments? If someone is away for a smoke/slash/number 2 they just pay big and small blinds when its their turn and that's that, isnt it?

Ace High
Ace High

on 2011-11-29, 14:17
There are only two 45 min levels before the break 25/50 50/100 so they only have to pay 225 not really a biggy off 6000 and you start after the break with 29 BBs
PokerSkool
Ace High
Ace High

on 2011-11-29, 14:18
Ascot wrote:On your other point, what are you on about - is this in tournaments? If someone is away for a smoke/slash/number 2 they just pay big and small blinds when its their turn and that's that, isnt it?

No after they have missed one round of the table they must post the BB every hand, this is common in rebuys.
Ascot
http://www.midlandspoker.com

on 2011-11-29, 16:03
lol used to get hammered after three hands a few years ago, but seems quite an old fashioned rule. and had forgotten they do 90 minute alternates on mondays. Embarassed

Straight
Straight
http://www.ukpokerassociation.com

on 2011-11-29, 16:16
I am introducing a very similar comp to this at Derby (also on a monday Shocked )

They have been used to rebuy comps for over 20 years and love them (personally I hate them). The value of 5000 chips for £20 is basically unmissable, everyone has it (its psychological) regardless of how many chips you have. Trust me if you entered at the end and had an add-on you would be about 4000 chips below the average!

Nice pots for small amount of runners.
Ricky9
Straight
Straight
http://www.ukpokerassociation.com

on 2011-11-29, 16:17
PokerSkool wrote:
Ascot wrote:On your other point, what are you on about - is this in tournaments? If someone is away for a smoke/slash/number 2 they just pay big and small blinds when its their turn and that's that, isnt it?

No after they have missed one round of the table they must post the BB every hand, this is common in rebuys.

TBH I think that rule is a little archaic now most clubs changed that rule before 2003
PokerSkool
Ace High
Ace High

on 2011-11-29, 17:23
Yes I agree, It should either exist or not, but not in this form.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum