Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Chop Chop at Walsall

on 2017-11-06, 13:03
Walsall's 25/25 ended in a 7 way split - Final prize pool payout was £28,000.

1st - £3,630
2nd - £3,500
3rd - £3,500
4th - 7th -£3,100
8th - £790
9th - £700.

No names have been published but you may recognise some final table faces :-)

hmrcustoms
Full House
Full House

Re: Chop Chop at Walsall

on 2017-11-10, 13:41
Wow i just don't understand that at all, what a waste. A 7 way bloody chop unbelievable.

Flush
Flush

on 2017-11-11, 08:39
I guess it depends to some extent on what the stack sizes were at the time, Andy, and what time of night it was, but in general terms I agree with you. 

I don`t mind a saver on the bubble to move things along.  Other than that, I don`t usually want to chop until it gets down to three-handed.  Even then, I`m usually looking to chop at a point where I have the largest stack and can claim the largest share.

To me, it`s a simple matter of arithmetic.  Even if you are a good, competent tournament player, you`re likely going home empty-handed from at least 80% of the comps you play.  That`s the nature of variance.  Therefore, to score a decent profit long-term, you must maximise your return on the realtively few occasions when you are in a scoring position.  Settling for less tends in the wrong direction.  It only makes sense, I think, if you believe yourself to be at a disadvantage, seriously outchipped or with very strong players to your left.

It can be difficult, at times, to hold to that strategy.  I don`t know what happened at Walsall, but far too few cardrooms decide on chop proposals by having a secret ballot (red card/black card or some equivalent).  If the rest of the table wants to deal and you don`t, you have to consider whether, if you hold to your opinion and insist on playing on, they are likely to gang up on you to knock you out so that they can chop without you.  A good Cardroom Manager should always stop the clock, moderate the discussion, and manage the ballot, in my view.  Sadly, too many cardrooms are not well managed.

Full House
Full House

on 2017-11-21, 21:29
I totally agree on the card room manager statement and the red card black card option. I also understand this might have been the largest amount some individuals have walked away with, but 7 ways is awful.

I think people have lost the will to win these days or are playing with scared money in other words afraid of losing it. I have no problem with a 2 or 3 way chop or icm ( only because it's 5am and I'm due in work @ 8am) which I have done in the past. You know me I'm a win or bust trying player, imagine people asking you how it went and you explain you did a 7 way chop. I wouldn't be able to show my face at the felt again and be comfortable with that scenario of players knowing I have no guts for the win.

http://www.midlandspoker.com

on 2017-11-22, 12:19
Panfried wrote:If the rest of the table wants to deal and you don`t, you have to consider whether, if you hold to your opinion and insist on playing on, they are likely to gang up on you to knock you out so that they can chop without you.  A good Cardroom Manager should always stop the clock, moderate the discussion, and manage the ballot, in my view.  Sadly, too many cardrooms are not well managed.

I was on a final table at a venue that was new to me and the chip leader sportingly offered a deal and as an unknown face with a short stack I kept my mouth shut but there was universal agreement at the table that we should chop it up. However, the cardroom supervisor insisted on a red card/black card secret ballot, during which two of the players, under the cloak of anonymity, blocked the deal. Naturally I was next to bust and the deal between regulars was being sorted before the "stranger" had his coat on. :-)

As for Walsall, it depends on stacks and the dynamics of the game, and ultimately how much the dough means to each player. Going home with over 15x your buy in cant really be regarded as a fail, and there have been far worse chops than this one.

Full House
Full House

on 2017-11-25, 12:34
HDave if you agreed on a 7 way chop you would have to resign from the forum and hand it over to a player with a killer instinct like Fluence.

You cannot reply to topics in this forum