Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
Overlay Expected! Grosvenor Coventry Titan - Fri 20th to Sun 22nd, £50+£7 buyin for £7500 GTD
Walsall hosts the next Grosvenor 25/25 Series from November 2nd - 5th. £200+£20 entry, £25,000 GTD
View previous topicGo downView next topic
mike ramsay
Full House
Full House

Just asking if anyone is interested.......

on Tue 19 Apr - 21:17
£20 rebuy nlh at Stoke. Two tables, level three. I am extremely TAG. Played one hand in an hour. Table is very loose passive.

Three bet with 89 suited.

Get four callers.

Rainbow flop 3,7,T

C bet . Get one caller

2 spades on turn and I pick up also flush draw.

Red king on river. Pot size bet left.

Opponent is LAG

First to act. What is the play and why
Panfried
Flush
Flush

Re: Just asking if anyone is interested.......

on Wed 20 Apr - 19:48
I suggest bet somewhere between one third and half the pot, on the grounds that a bet of that size looks like a value bet wanting a call, whereas a shove may raise suspicions.

Given your tight image and the betting so far, you could very plausibly be playing a hand which just hit (AK, KQ etc.).

Since villain is LAG and did not take advantage of your check on the turn to fire at the pot, he is likely weak and can`t call.

Full House

on Wed 20 Apr - 20:10
That tuesday comp is always very aggressive because they get a few chips to start,so the raises tend to be large.Usually even larger with crap hands.
mike ramsay
Full House
Full House

on Wed 20 Apr - 23:37
Apologies for the poor info. On picking up the flush draw on turn I bet. So I have 3bet pre, c bet the flop and barrelled the turn....... Missed the river
Panfried
Flush
Flush

on Thu 21 Apr - 0:17
Understood.  In that case, seeing that he has called your bet on every street, but never raised despite his agressive tendencies, I tend to discount the middle of his range and put him at either extreme. 

I suspect he is either calling along looking to improve, quite possibly with a missed draw like yours (45, 56, 68 etc.) or (less likely) he hit the flop big (77, TT) and is tricky enough to let you bet it for him in order to disguise his hand.

In either event, if you check, he will certainly bet and take it away from you.  So, I feel you must bet.  In this situation, and taking into account that it`s a rebuy tournament, I probably shove.  If he does have the unlikely big hand, or if he has the balls to call with Ace High or with a 3, tell him "Well Played" and call for more chips.

Full House
Full House

on Thu 21 Apr - 15:43
I was thinking slightly differently when he smooth calls my bet on the turn.

I agree with some draws
I rarely see a player slow playing a set on the draw heavy turn and often see a raise so actually rule out sets
I see this player calling again with top pair any kicker and even 99,88

With this logic it makes the river shove even more appetising as the king must be a worthy scare card for all of those Tx, 99,88 ace high draw hands. Surely I must have aa,kk,qq,jj,ak,aq,kq and the bit of the range that he was beating just shrunk dramatically
Panfried
Flush
Flush

on Thu 21 Apr - 18:56
mike ramsay wrote:I rarely see a player slow playing a set on the draw heavy turn and often see a raise so actually rule out sets

You are probably right.  I did say it was less likely. 

It takes a smart player to appreciate that it`s most usually a losing proposition over a large sample of hands to call a three-bet preflop to set mine.  It only works if one can find the most effective ways to exploit the hand to the maximum when it hits. 

Some would play the hand the way I suggested, reasoning that your tight image makes it less likely you would have played the hand this aggressively with the sort of small cards that would make a straight here.  Therefore the set is ahead around 80-20 with one card to come against any of your likely holdings, and there is no need to scare you out of the hand.  But, in fairness, one wouldn`t expect that Lagfish in a £20 rebuy thinks about the game to that extent.

Full House
Full House

on Thu 21 Apr - 22:10
So my assumption that Tx was a big part of his range and that the king would be an excellent card for me.

He flips over TK

When I try to engage in that was a good card for him and any other paint he has to fold, I don't think that he understands the question.
Panfried
Flush
Flush

on Thu 21 Apr - 23:09
It happens, m8.

I have (almost) trained myself to accept that the outcome is irrelevant so long as the decision is sound.  When multitabling online, I now often move on to the next table once the chips are in the middle, and don`t bother to watch the board run out.  The only thing I need to know is that I got them in ahead.  After that, if the deck kills me, there`s no shame.

Since we both agreed it was a reasonable spot to shove, there`s no problem.

http://www.midlandspoker.com

on Fri 22 Apr - 15:41
I did wonder if it was a top pair hand hoping to spike two pair, clearly he couldnt fold a paper.

Had a similar experience playing a midweek comp in Sheffield last week, guy had an underpair with a middle pin draw, couldnt get him off it. He built a stack and didnt cash, as is so always the way.

Full House
Full House

on Sat 23 Apr - 15:37
I did not post to complain about bad luck. More to check the play.

I think I got his range right

I also think that if I am going to 3bet 89 suited then when picking up a flush draw and straight draw on turn I MUST barrel. If the river bricks, then I give up. As it is an over card I think we all agree that a stab is warranted. After all what is TJ ( for example) beating at that point and I assume he will fold vs any other over card. But deep down I suspect that even vs an ace on the river he may make a crying call that completely screws my assertion that I played the hand ok.

If he is never folding top pair that becomes second pair later on then I probably should not even Cbet the flop.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum