Midlands Poker Forum
Please register as a full member of the site and login!
The next £75+£7 Monthly £10000 Guaranteed at Grosvenor Hill St will be on Sunday 26th November
Broadway Birmingham will hold their next £7500 GTD £100+£10 Monthly Freezeout on Wednesday 29th November
Grosvenor Birmingham Hill St runs their Monthly £50 with a £6000 Guarantee on the second Saturday of each month
Stoke Genting will hold their next £50+£5 Monthly Special with a £4000 guarantee on Sunday 3rd December
View previous topicGo downView next topic
mike ramsay
Full House
Full House

Advice on a hand

on 2016-01-03, 15:11
£150 buy in. Level 4 or 5. 250 bb effective stack size.

I open from mid position to 2.5x with AJ. BB defended . Heads up to flop.

I have been TAG

Villain: active, loose, not too bothered about position. Fairly passive with selective aggression. Always looking to find a way of winning a pot. He was the villain a couple of levels before when he 5 bet pre flop from same button position and I folded face up queens. He claimed AK without showing. 

Flop 99J rainbow.

I c- bet. He check raises. Standard bet sizes. From memory, c bet 4bb into 6bb pot. Raise to 22bb

What next?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.midlandspoker.com

Re: Advice on a hand

on 2016-01-03, 15:31
Why would he do that with a 9? Does he just think you cant call him? As a chronic disbeliever I might put him on TJ or JQ ........ especially if you fold with QQ has made him think you are exploitable (no offense) Very Happy

mike ramsay
Full House
Full House

on 2016-01-03, 15:37
No offence taken

That was exactly my thought process so far
mike ramsay
Full House
Full House

on 2016-01-03, 15:38
So I am never folding
Call or raise and why?
Ascot
http://www.midlandspoker.com

on 2016-01-03, 18:55
Mmm ..... AA, KK, QQ would three-bet pre so I think you're miles ahead here and his overbet smells of wise-ass - I now include QT in his range. I would probably call. I might have a decision to make if an 8 or K falls on turn, but i think a reraise is over-bloating the pot myself. Course the youngsters would probably snap shove lol

Full House
Full House

on 2016-01-03, 20:59
Agree that over pairs are out of his range.

Range: 9T, 9J, 9A , 98,97 but why check raise? But not impossible
Rest of range that is a draw: T8, TQ
Rest of range: small pairs that he is turning into a bluff or protecting vs an ace high and all other junk as a bluff.

8,Q,K all scare cards for me on turn. But only appear 25% of time.
Although a 9 is unlikely it can not be excluded I have seen this often.

For the avoidance of doubt this is not a smartass question but a genuine advice sought. To clear, I decided to make a fairlysmall reraise and he folded after a tank which I am not sure was a Hollywood. His reaction does not help me to further define his range except that he had no 9!

The final action of my raise and his fold feels inconsequential to the situation.

I can see merit in calling and reraising and at the time felt that the optimum play was to call and rope the dope but felt the variance was too high, or I was too scared to play the turn so decided to avoid the turn by raising again.

Raise again : merits, avoid playing a particularly tricky turn / river. Find out where I am ( I don't like the phrase, but it kind of fits here), avoid stacking off to 9x

Call: raising folds out all hands that I am beating and bluffs and bloats pot for all hands that I am way behind. Call keeps all hands in and may induce further bluff on turn. Also recalled that he may have TT.

This hand really confused me.......
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum